Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Loving the hoodie - new Ottobre set for Eva - 1/2016 #5 & 3/2013 #5

I've been at home with the children sick a lot lately so I managed to trace a new set of patterns for Eva to cheer me up. So slowly I start sewing them.So here is a new try at the leggings pattern from the latest kids issue - this time with added length since the fabric is better suited for spring/fall then summer and a hoodie that I'm eyeing for a while now - from 3/2013 #5.

 The pants are OK. I even think they are starting to grow on me but we just love the hoodie. It turned out a lot longer then I expected. I am not sure why. I will have to check again if I traced the pattern correctly and how much length I added myself... It is a bit to big like this but it seems to be large enough to be good in the fall as well so we will keep this one like this and will fix the length in the next one. I will definitely have to be a next one since we already using it a lot like this. We love it. It goes with almost everything. It comfortable and warm.
 I am also really proud of the finishing on the hoodie - is my first use of the new Janome Coverlock Pro 2000 CPX. It was love at first use.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

New green owls outfit - ottobre 1/2016 #5 & 3/2015 #7

ottobre 1/2013 #5 & 3/2015 #7
Since I started to force myself to make time for sewing again I managed to trace some patterns for Eva so I will be doing some sewing as well now. The patterns used now are both Ottobre ( there is nothing more practical and comfortable so far from my experience).
The leggings are very very easy and fast and quite OK for the warm weather (I traced size 80 that should be just a bit bigger and they are more like 3/4 length) . I would say this is not my favorite pattern for leggings but is not bad specially if you don't want to cut some nice print ( no front and side seams ) and is easy. At least after you read the joining instruction. For this pair I joined panels in the wrong order and got some small problems but you can hardly see them on this print. Ottobre 3/2015 #7 - Fruity Flowers leggings
 The top is more interesting and I can't wait to try a version with some contrast for yoke. when I seen the drawing I thought of a woven fabric but then it called for jersey and it is quite fit and may not have been comfortable otherwise. - Ottobre 1/2016 #5 - Pocahontas jersey top.
Pocahontas jersey top
Pocahontas jersey top
I added a ruffle to the hem to make it more like a dress and it doesn't seem to have been a bad idea. I got quite a nice outfit in in end: fun print, interesting design and comfortable to play in it.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Blue monarch baby girl jumper

   For the latest challenge on Lucru de mana I had to use recycled fabric for a project. One of ideas I always been drawn to was reusing old jeans and I been wanting to try something like that for a long time so I had to really push myself for this. I had literally no time to sew so I sacrificed 2 half nights of sleep to sew. I had to sew. It has been a long break for me with kids always sick and a job. And I really loved the contest theme.
   As a starting point I sewed the red polka dots jumper as a pattern testing and I gathered a big pile of jeans so have shades to choose from.

I was just thinking how to cut the pattern and how to place the ruffles and reuse tome design elements and just I couldn't  decide so I started browsing over old pins for inspiration when I remembered  arianamaniacs's version of blue monarch dress and I just thought that the denim shades will go nice as wings and so I was set on a course:
My jumper is far from being as magnificent as the 2 inspiration ones but I think it turned out a fun outfit for my baby girl.
 Seeing it like this I keep thinking it would have made a fine toy as well. Maybe I will turn it into one at some point.
  I used on old maternity tee for the underwear part:
This was the easy part. The next come the front panel of the romper that I envisioned as the butterfly body :
And the last come the fun part - the wings:
I had 8 wings in the end and maybe it was a bit to much.
It turned out quite big and bulky so I don't think it will really be practical but at least it was fun and I got some cute pictures to save: