Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Pockets, pockets, pockets - Princess castle dress Ottobre 4/2013 #14

   I noticed a while ago that Eva discovered pockets. At first I seen her trying to fit a toy into a RTW coat pockets then I noticed she knows how to use the pockets on her brother old pants. But it was when she was wearing the purple wool coat I made for her last fall and was trying to find a pocket that was not there at all that I realized I need to add pockets to her garments.
   And I remembered a dress tunic design from one of my Ottobre magazine that I always thought it was cool and wanted to try it : Princess castle dress/tunic from 4/2013 #14:
Eva is finally ready for the smallest size - 92. It fits her beautifully.
The 1st version I made was pretty much as the pattern except the sleeve binding and slightly different color blocks.
It was a decent fit and cute but I felt it was a bit to boxy and not the most flattering for her. I don't really like the back cover stitch on the pockets - it seams a bit to much. The stripe fabric doesn't seam to shine in this dress even if the colors coordinate so well with the print...
Later I made her green leggings as well and I think they go together better.
For the next one I skipped the waist band and I added more flare to the skirt. I somehow like this one better. I think the extra flare is more flattering and I don't miss the contrast waistband.
I used the other side of the cover machine to close pockets and I think it looks better like this. Now the pockets contrast can be seen even if the has her hands inside - constant being on the binding not the pocket bag :).
I made her leggings from the same fabric but I think with both of them it starts looking like PJs and I made a simple raglan sleeved blouse for her brother as well. They both love to coordinate with each other and I love it even more to have them match:
For the next one I wanted to use a fabric left over from one of my tees last summer. It was really hard to fit the pattern inside but I am happy I could match the stripes on the sides and for that I had to give up on all flare and have short sleeves:
I like how this fabric looks on her the most. Maybe because it is a bit less childish... I still skipped the waistband but this time I added length to the upper pieces to compensate for it. The back ribbing come out very nice.
On the other hand I totally lost control with fabric purchased. While I was make it even on the Lekala Tops I them got like 8 new fabrics from local stores, 5 from an online site and then just hit send on a 14 lot yesterday on another online site ... it seams everyone finally decided to bring in fabrics I had such a hard time to find in the past... 27 new fabrics and sewed one swimsuit, 3 tunics, 1 top and 2 leggings so I am like 47 items behind to make it up ... Ha ha... The good part is the most of this new fabrics are knits so it will be fast to sew - I could probably make our tee this summer once I get the new Jalie men pattern and hope it will work well for my husband. And there are as well a few short pieces that I bought to make something a little bit usual for Eva that should go fast as well.

4 comments:

  1. Dragut modelul ales, iar cu buzunarele trebuie sa te obisnuiesti sa le pui si la lenjerie, asa de mult le trebuie copiilor. Esti o mamica cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mda asa e... Amandoi sunt innebuniti dupa buzunare :) Si nu numai. Si mie tare imi mai place sa am buzunare. Nu stiu de ce nu imi fac si eu mai multe cu buzunare...

      Delete