Monday, July 9, 2018

Polka dots and strawberry girl - little miss fairy wings dress

I am so excited about the stripes and polka dots contest and I really want to make an effort and sew a few items for it. Polka dots are one of my favorite print for Eva and stripes are the most expressive when sewing.
  I decided to start with some easy projects to warm up and add a few dresses for Eva's summer wardrobe.
  I really loved the fairy wings dress in the summer Ottobre this year and I had it treced for a while on paper but still waiting to be used so I used it.
I had about 1 meter of this lovely fabric. it is pure cotton slightly lighter and more drapier the quilting cotton but not much.
  The design is a bit boxy! I decided to change the skirt for a 2 bigger ruffles. I made the "wings" wider too .
  I was considering replacing the central front panel with a strawberry girl print :
Eva definitely like the print better and I liked the dots so decided to go with a 3rd option and used a frame applique over the dots panel:
I used an etsy design available here ... a bit more pricey the others but I thought it was really cute so decided to go with it. It isn't exactly optimized for applique but it worked for me.
  I doubled the front and back central panel for a more clean look and to hide any threads from embroidery. I also used self bias for armhole. Love the look this way:
 Used a button in the back instead of the tie:
   The pink and green went great together after all and reminded me of another dress I made when Eva was not yet born and she wore on her first days out:
I can hardly believe she was that little once... And now the little miss in her new dress:
Sewing 105 - Shopping 77.

4 comments:

  1. I love the green polka dots... also one of my favourite prints. That's a fantastic colour and I love the appliqué. Good luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute and Lovely your girl and the dresses! Wishing you all good luck my friend! ♥

    ReplyDelete